Location: Flexible, preferably Maine. Most of the position can be performed remotely, but when the health situation permits, in-person work will be conducted throughout Maine.
Classification: Full time; exempt
The Center for Women & Enterprise (CWE) is a nationally recognized economic development organization that supports women and veterans with small business development. We offer a dynamic, fast-paced, and intellectually stimulating environment. We strive to provide opportunities for veterans, women entrepreneurs and women in business to increase professional success, personal growth, and financial independence. With offices in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire, CWE delivers business development programs and certifies women owned businesses.
In partnership with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), CWE operates five Women’s Business Centers (WBCs) and the Veterans Business Outreach Center of New England (VBOC of NE). While our service delivery is focused on veterans and those who identify as women, we welcome all genders.
The Program Manager – VBOC of NE supports all operations of the program, and is critical to its success. S/he is the first point of contact for veterans seeking assistance, and ensures consistency and continuity of service for them. The Manager works with the Director – VBOC of NE and the Program Manager – Northern New England in the areas of client management and administration, successful program development and delivery, and data management. S/he manages the office functions, and drives programming in the state of Maine. Program management includes recruiting and retaining a qualified base of consultants; facilitating introductory workshops and consultations with veterans; arranging additional classes where appropriate; and driving outreach in Maine.
Currently this position is remote. When the health situation allows, the Manager will need to spend time in person in communities throughout Maine. The schedule and locations can be determined in coordination with the Director – VBOC of NE.
The ideal candidate is client-focused, passionate about veterans and entrepreneurship, and committed to program success. He or she should have experience as a veteran or working with veterans, and knowledge of small business strategy. This position would be a great fit for a recent graduate from a business school and/or someone who has worked in management positions with small businesses. The candidate will demonstrate strong organization and communication skills, be highly self-motivated and reliable, and be skilled in the area of data management and analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads programming, outreach and client supports in the state of Maine
- Work with the VBOC Director and Program Manager to respond to client requests for counseling and/or training throughout the network
- Assists with program marketing throughout the network
- Provide supports to business owners via direct consultations, referrals to VBOC volunteers, WBC programs, etc.
- Ensure that client needs are met consistently and in a timely manner
- Help to manage calendars and scheduling for VBOC staff and consultants
- Support VBOC of NE’s relationship with U.S. Small Business Administration and assist with necessary reporting
- Recommend new systems to more efficiently operate the CWE VBOC program
- Plan, staff, track and analyze activities and outcomes of programs
- Ensures quality reporting of client activity, including working with consultants to ensure documentation is submitted properly and in a timely manner
- Related duties as assigned
Expectation: Quality Programs
- Customer satisfaction
- Maintains efficient systems
- Delivers effective workshops and consultations
- Helps recruit and maintain qualified consultants
Expectation: Demonstrated Competence/Skills
- Goal/Action orientation
- Client focus
- Flexibility/Adaptability to change
Expectation: Modeling of CWE Mission and Values
- Undergraduate degree, preferably related to business administration
- At least two years of professional experience, preferably including small business management
- Proven ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
- Knowledge of data management and/or CRM systems
- Excellent business skills including organization, time management, verbal and written communication
- Committed to success and high-quality service delivery
- Highly independent and reliable
- Proven ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals
- Sensitive to the needs of a diverse client base
- Enthusiastic about the mission of CWE and team player
- Bilingual in Spanish (preferred)
- Knowledge of military culture (preferred)
- MS Office proficiency required
- Familiarity with social media marketing, Constant Contact and website management strongly preferred
- May work in an environment where multiple projects are being executed at one time
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Required to have and maintain a valid Driver’s License
- Occasional work outside of normal business hours will be required
- Travel (50-75%) within the state of Maine, and occasionally elsewhere in New England if needed for all-staff events.
- Must communicate consistently and amicably with internal and external stakeholders on an ongoing basis
- Walking, bending, sitting, typing at a keyboard, driving, and occasional lifting up to 30 lbs. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment and Environmental Conditions
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- As this position is largely mobile, the candidate may select a work environment that is convenient for him/her. However, the environment must be conducive to conducting business.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
The Center for Women & Enterprise is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, thoughtful cover letter and salary requirements to Jenniefer Murphy at email@example.com.